Saturday, July 31, 2010

Goodbye Twin Springs

I worked my last day at Twin Springs Farm on Friday. It's been a wonderful year and three months learning the ins and outs of small-scale, sustainable agriculture. I had the pleasure to work for amazing people - Gary and Jeanne Scott - and learned a great deal from them. I learned to identify common garden pests; how to grow throughout the year using unheated hoop houses; how to seed, transplant, and harvest a variety of vegetables; and a host of other important skills. I also learned to love cool mornings, afternoon breezes, the changing leaves in the fall, ripe blueberries, and soaking rains. I'm going to miss the early morning drives to Nelson County, the warm welcome from Akira the farm dog, the joy of harvesting (and eating!) fresh produce throughout the year, the cackle of hens laying eggs.......I'm even going to miss the satisfaction of pulling weeds and smashing squash bugs, but most of all, I'm going to miss the farm itself and the joy of growing. Thank you, Twin Springs, for everything.

Below are a few photos of the farm recently - you can see it's the height of the season right now with tomatoes, peppers, cantaloupes, watermelons, lettuce, squash, beets, okra, and raspberries all being harvested. You can also now keep up with the farm throughout the year on the new blog: twinspringsfarmva.wordpress.com (featuring many of my pictures from throughout the year!)

It may be a bit before my next post, but check back for photos of the new house and adventures in my new garden! I'm already planning where to plant the first blueberry bushes.....



No comments:

Post a Comment