Friday, January 15, 2010

Sprouts

**disclaimer: I have no idea why this is all underlined in blue - just consider it a snazzier version of a normal post....

Well, the new year is off with a whiz, bang, boom! I've spent the past two weeks of "break" as busy as ever between a one week business class at Darden and a one week externship at the Local Food Hub. Both educational, entertaining, and interesting experiences - maybe I'll write about them sometime.... :)

For now, I wanted to share pictures of my sprouting herbs. My sister gave me a windowsill herb planting "kit" for Christmas. Since my beautiful and plentiful herbs finally went kaput after the mega snowstorm dumped on them, I decided to try planting these inside. The kit contained seeds for sage, oregano, and basil - what some would consider the classic kitchen herbs.

So, I planted them a few weeks ago in two sets of three pots, put them in a sunny window, sprayed them with water twice a day, and waited.......

Now the seeds in the middle pots are sprouting! Of course I didn't actually label them, though, so I'm not really sure what is sprouting. With just the cotyledons showing, I won't be able to tell until the first true leaves come along either - darn. I really need to get better at record keeping and organization. Oh well, for now, I'll just enjoy the little sprouts.

There's something inspiring about planting a seed and watching it grow. It's really pretty amazing what can come out of such a small seed. I once read an article/essay/something or other about tomato seeds as the most amazing, efficient energy packets. It was an interesting thought - how the tiny seed (which is very easy to transport) can grow and produce so much energy (in the form of food calories) with minimal inputs - sun, water, soil. I wish I could find that article again - I bet I have it somewhere around the house. Hmm......again, I should really get better at that thing called organization......

I'm also trying to grow some mint from a sprig plucked from the garden - supposedly it will grow roots in a cup of water--I'm still waiting to be impressed. For now, I share my herb sprouts - any guesses what they are?








Did I mention I also potted some more spider plants? I think they are on a mission to take over our house..... I'm also still trying to figure out this new camera - lots of jazzy options.


1 comment:

  1. Fun post. I have many spider plants taking over the house, too. and to think all of them are from the one baby you stole that year when we lived in the 2nd floor apartment!

    I miss you. I will call you this week. I was on the treadmill when you called last time, and I didn't think you would be entertained by that winded version of me. Hope you're well. We still wanna come visit!

    ReplyDelete