Saturday, October 3, 2009

Busy Life

So I haven't posted on here for a few weeks, BUT it has been less than a month for anyone who was counting :)

What have I been doing in all that time? Well, plenty of stuff, but I thought I'd highlight two projects today - the UVa Community Garden and the Student Planning Association Local Thanksgiving Dinner (both of which conveniently have other blogs to check out!).

I am the current manager of the UVa Community Garden, a small vegetable garden planted on grounds last spring. My role as manager involves working with the undergraduate leadership team to plan events, make planting decisions, and organize volunteers. I also maintain their blog.... www.uvagarden.wordpress.com - check it out for more about what we've been up to this fall!

I am also the social chair for our planning department student organization (SPA). Part of this role involves planning the annual "Local" Thanksgiving Dinner. The dinner is an opportunity for the whole department to share a potluck style meal AND celebrate local foods by sourcing all ingredients from within a 100-mile radius (inspired by the Alisa Smith, author of Plenty: Eating Locally on the 100-mile Diet).

To get people excited about the dinner, and increase the education about local foods, the Thanksgiving committee has planned several events leading up to the actual dinner this year. The "journey" to Thanksgiving features a food preserving workshop to make applesauce and ferment some vegetables (I have no idea how to do this - it will really be an adventure!), a field trip to a local mill and vineyard, the annual apple harvest festival, and a trip to Polyface farm to pick up turkeys for the dinner. You can follow our journey here (on yet another blog!): http://hundredmilethanksgiving.wordpress.com/

Ok, there you go - finally an update! Check out the other blogs, let me know what you think, and check back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment