Thursday, July 9, 2009

A day on the farm...

Since I started interning three days a week on the farm this summer, several people have inquired about my experiences.  My initial response is usually, "Oh, I do a little bit of everything," but I've gotten enough quizzical looks to realize that this does not sufficiently answer the question.  In fact, I'm not sure there is a short answer to explain what I actually do on a nearly daily basis - hence this blog to share some of my experiences. For good measure I'll share daily activities, include some of the adventures (like chasing chickens!), and hopefully some pictures if I can ever remember my camera!

Twin Springs Farm is located in Shipman in Nelson County, VA - about 45 mins. south on 29 from Charlottesville.   The total farm is 76 acres, but only about 2 acres are currently in cultivation (the rest is mostly wooded).  Along with seasonal produce and blueberries (yum!), the farm also has about 60 laying hens in movable "chicken tractors" (more on the chickens in later posts). We sell produce at the Lovingston Farmers Market on Wednesdays and the Nellysford Market Saturday mornings.  We also have a handful of CSA customers and sell to a few local places including Devil's Backbone Restaurant  near Wintergreen.  

I'm the only hired employee on the farm - I'm still trying to decide if this is a good thing or not.  On the up side, I have the opportunity to learn a lot and do everything; on the down side, I do everything.  Each day is a little different, but usually involves some seeding, planting,watering,  weeding, and harvesting.  For example, a typical day (this was my actual Tuesday this week):

8:15 - 8:30:  check in with the owner and go over the to do list for the day
8:30-9:30:  harvest cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini, and squash
9:30-11:30:  transplant lettuce (about 300 plants)
11:30-12:30:  weed, rake, and fertilize a bed for planting tomorrow
12:30-1:00: lunch!
1:00-4:00:  seed broccoli trays (over 500 seeds)
4:00-5:00:  water lettuce beds and check chickens
5:00-5:30:  harvest cukes and squash again
5:30: head home - tired, dirty, and happy!

And that's a day on the farm......

1 comment:

  1. So glad you're blogging. Now I can keep up better. :) Sounds like the farm is fun. I think of you every time we go to the farmer's market here. Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete