Sunday, January 2, 2011

Bucket List

Happy New Year! Can't believe another year is done and we're into the next.....

I've never really been a big new years resolution kind of person - probably because I tend to forget what my resolutions are by the time my birthday rolls around at the end of January. Instead, I've taken to starting a bucket list. I've actually had one for quite a while, but for some reason I haven't really shared it in written form.

In the spirit of the new year, I'm revisiting my list. And I'm identifying some guidelines. Rules seem too harsh, and besides, it's my own list so I can really make it what ever I want :) Most of these come from a conversation I had with my sister earlier this fall when we were talking about bucket lists on a long hike. She encouraged me to push my list farther - to not just do things, but to do them really well and as completely as possible (which is a little ironic because she is the world's best project starter and worst finisher.) But, anyway, I liked her enthusiasm.

So, that's my first guideline - if I'm going to do anything, do it well. No half-ass bucket list experiences. I think I can live with that.

Second guideline - no time limits. This is the beauty of a bucket list for me. Unlike resolutions which imply a deadline of a year, a bucket list has a lifetime - however long or short that may be.

Third guideline - no particular order. My list is a random jumbling. I'm a dreamer and that's how my brain works.

Fourth guideline - nothing is impossible. Like I said, I'm a dreamer. And this is my list :)

So, without further ado.......drum roll please......

Dana's Bucket List (as of January 2, 2011):
  1. Learn to play the banjo
  2. Make a quilt
  3. Go to Ireland
  4. Go to Alaska
  5. Own a farm
  6. Have kids
  7. Make my own pasta, cheese, and tomato sauce - on a regular basis
  8. Kill an animal myself and eat it
  9. Own horses again, and pigs, and chickens, maybe even a cow
  10. Dance like no one's watching......in a crowded room

So, there it is. I had to get a little more whimsical with the last one just for good measure. For some reason it makes me a little nervous to put this out there. Maybe this is my subconscious way of creating some accountability - that's exciting and slightly frightening at the same time.

And now I'd like to know, what's on your bucket list???











2 comments:

  1. This made me smile. :) I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me thinks... I should also do a bucket list :) Love reading your stuff! You always make it seem like your life is so interesting (even though you claim it isn't!)

    ReplyDelete