Sunday, August 30, 2009

Updates and fall gardens


Although the weather still feels like summer, we've been busy at the farm planting broccoli (over 600 starts!), cabbage, and cauliflower; harvesting winter squash; still picking blueberries; and generally getting ready for the fall.  With so many other commitments and a busy school schedule, I'll just be working at Twin Springs one day a week for the rest of the fall.  Although it will make my time even tighter, I'm looking forward to having a break from the hectic schedule around Charlottesville to continuing learning on the farm.

Other things going on that I'll hopefully update soon include our recent trip to Chicago and the beautiful Millennium Park gardens, the UVa Community Garden that I'm managing this year, and some insights from my classes.  Hooray - lots more stories to share!  For now, though, I'll keep this short and just share some recent photos from the farm and a depressing shot of the end of my own garden plot (see below to understand.....)


Watermelons ripening at the farm...can't wait until they're ready!

Broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower starts
Broccoli start planted with red clover as cover crop

Some of the winter squash harvest - Kabocha Orange and Delicata.



















Hungarian sweet hot peppers a row of okra and close up okra plants in the hoop house.


Evidence of raccoons in my garden - most depressing day ever when I realized they ate almost all of my much anticipated sweet corn......

No comments:

Post a Comment